Power Rebooting Your Router
You may think your Wi-Fi router is working OK because some of your devices can access the internet. Yet, some of your other devices, such as your Wi-Fi printer, are offline or not working properly.
Sometimes, especially after a lightning storm where power suddenly goes out and just as suddenly comes back on, a power surge causes the circuitry in your Wi-Fi router to go into an error retry loop for certain functions.
This error loop can be reset by doing a power reboot of the router:
- 1. Unplug the power cord for the modem-router from the wall and from the back of the modem/router.
- 2. Count to 30.
- 3. Plug the power cord back into the wall and into the modem/router.
- 4. Wait about 5 minutes for your Internet Service Provider to recognize that their device is back online.
- 5. Try to use your offline device again.
- 6. NOTE: you may need to restart your computer and your printer again.
If you need to reset the clock on your microwave after a power glitch, you can use this as an indicator that you may also need to power reboot your modem/router.
I am committed to protect your computers at an affordable price. Thank you for trusting me to keep your computers healthy. Contact us at 239-567-0104 when it is time to renew your protection software, or if you need computer and internet help. Be well.
By Linda Lindquist, July 11, 2022