PROTECT YOUR COMPUTER DURING SUMMER STORMS
By Linda Lindquist
Summer is right around the corner! The biggest threat to your computers come from power disturbances, often caused by severe thunder and lightning storms, and do we have these storms in the summer here in Florida! Sometimes, the lightning seems to strike right outside in our yards! Heavy rains and intense lightning strikes often lead to power outages, surges in power and brownouts in power, all of which can wreak havoc to your electronic devices. Surges can “pop” the capacitors in a computer’s mother board. Tower computers that abruptly shut down during a Windows update may not reboot again. Routers may not connect to the internet after a storm.
What can you do to prevent damage and protect your investment in your computer?
- UNPLUG your computer from the power source when a lightning storm is raging outside. (NO cost)
- Plug your laptop into a SURGE PROTECTOR – and keep the surge protector turned on. (Cost $20)
- Plug your tower computer into a BATTERY BACKUP uninterrupted power supply, which protects it from surges in power and runs on battery power for up to 15 minutes when the power goes off. (Cost $55)
- DO NOT USE your computer during a thunderstorm to protect both you and your computer. (NO cost)
- Back up your computer files in case your computer is hit by lightning. (Cost $80)
How to power reboot your router:
- Unplug the power cord from the back of your modem / router.
- Count to 30.
- Plug in the power cord.
- Wait 5 minutes for the modem / router to reconnect to your internet service provider.
- Test that your computer can connect to the internet again.
Keep your protection software up to date, to stop malware infections.
I recommend this “Healthy Computer” suite of protection software:
- Emsisoft anti-malware ($30) stops 98% of all known threats.
- Malwarebytes Browser Guard ($10) stops fake tech support fraud pop-ups.
- Thor Foresight Software Updater ($10) automates software updates.
Enjoy your summer; follow this advice to keep your computer healthy during summer storms.
Thank you for trusting me to keep your computers healthy.