Recommendations to Protect Yourself Online
Here are 5 proven ways to protect your computer, your wallet and your identity:
- Good anti-malware anti-virus protection software
- Good website protection extensions
- Good software updating software
- Awareness of how to spot phishing e-mails
- Good password management practices
1. Anti-malware protection software:
I recommend Emsisoft Anti-malware as the security protection product that I sell and install to protect my clients’ computers. It is an effective vaccination against malicious software (malware).
You may be wondering how and why I chose Emsisoft Anti-malware.
- During first seven years of providing service, 98% of the computers that I serviced were infected with malware! Because of this fact, I became a Certified Malware Removal Specialist expert in removing malware.
- On some computers, malware got in repeatedly, even though they were using anti-virus software.
- By researching for an effective anti-malware software, I found a bar chart report from the independent research agency AV Comparatives., showing how effective various security protection products are at stopping malware and viruses. The least effective security protection products rated at 72% stopping malware (28% of malware was let in). The most effective security protection products rated at 98% (2% of malware was let in).
- I was surprised to find McAfee, Norton, and Kaspersky products (the “big boys" of security) at the low 72% end of the chart! Emsisoft anti-malware was at the 98% end of the chart. The difference between 72% and 98% effectiveness is significant.
- I installed Emsisoft Anti-malware on my computer, surprised when it detected 6 threats on my laptop without slowing it down! . I installed Emsisoft anti-malware on a computer that was getting repeatedly infected. It quarantined 46 threats! During the next three months, the client did not make any service calls, and there was no more malware on that computer.
- Emsisoft anti-malware continues to be effective at stopping malware infections on many of my client’s computers since! I have created hundreds of “healthy computers” that do not get infected. At an annul price tag of $40, the results were priceless!
2. Website Protection
I recommend two products to stop malware, malvertisements, redirections and scams from invading your computer from the websites you visit:
- Emsisoft Browser Security
- Malwarebytes Browser Guard
This low-cost protection becomes an extension to your Chrome, Edge or Firefox browsers, and has reduced the incidence of those scary tech support pop-up scams by over 90%.
3.Keep Your Software Updated
Out of date software is vulnerable to attack by scammers and hackers.
- Microsoft does a good, automated job of keeping Windows and Office software up-to-date.
- If your Windows operating software is older than Windows 10, it may be time to upgrade to a newer, faster, more secure computer.
- I recommend Heimdal’s Thor Software Updater to keep your third-party software automatically updated.
4. Beware of Phishing e-mails
Look for phishing e-mails in my October 16 article.
5. Use Unique, strong passwords
Look for good password management in my October 23 article.
I am committed to protect your computers at an affordable price. Thank you for trusting me to keep your computers healthy. Contact us at 239-567-0104 when it is time to renew your protection software, to arrange for Learn Computer training, or if you need computer and internet help.
By Linda Lindquist, October 30, 2023